He initiated the 'Your Favourite London Sound' project that aims to discover what Londoners find positive in their city's soundscape, an idea that has been repeated in other world cities including Beijing, Chicago, Prague and Birmingham. Is developing http://favouritesounds.org for listening to recordings linked to the Google map.
He produced 'Vermilion Sounds' a monthly environmental sound program on ResonanceFM radio, London, and is a Senior Lecturer in ‘Sound Arts & Design’ at the London College of Communication. Was a senior research fellow on the multi-university multidisciplinary ‘Positive Soundscapes Project’ funded by the Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council that finished in September 2009.
As a musician he tours regularly at home and abroad. Musical collaborators include Clive Bell, Nic Collins, Alterations, Chris Cutler, Max Eastley, Annette Krebs and Viv Corringham. Available recordings include "Where is the Green Parrot?" (ReR PC1 - solo CD; "Your Favourite London Sounds" (Resonance); “Operet” (Rere121) with Viv Corringham; “Day For Night” (Paradigm) with Max Eastley; “Baikal Ice” (ReR PC2); “Favourite Beijing Sounds” (KwanYin 022).
Activity and Publications
- Research Fellowship, The Positive Soundscapes Project- 3 year multidisciplinary, multiuniversity (UAL, Warwick, Lancaster, Salford, NMU) project funded by the EPSRC.
- Favourite London Sounds: Arts Council - Installation for the foyer of the Arts Council's building at Pear Tree Court, London.
- Paper, Beyond Text Symposium, Manchester University, July 2007.
- Paper, EMS07 Languages of Electroacoustic Music conference, De Montfort University, Leicester, June 2007.
- Paper, Sounder Spaces Symposium, London Zoo, March 2007.
- "Field Recording" concerts and workshop tour - Quebec State, Canada; Organised by Daimon Arts and visiting Montreal, Quebec City, Gatineau, Saguenay.
- Concert at Roulette, New York City, USA - with Nic Collins.
- Residency at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago - March.
- Beijing Soundscapes - installation commissioned by the Capital Museum, Beijing in collaboration with David Toop - supported by British Council.
- Paper, Sound and Anthropology conference, St Andrew's University, June 2006
- Sound and the City, Beijing, China - commission by the British Council - 2 visits to Beijing to create pieces 'Beijing Bike Ride and ' Favourite Beijing Sounds'. Also concerts and workshops.
- Vermilion Sounds - continuing radio series for ResonanceFM, London, on phonography and acoustic ecology. Over 50 shows. Produced and presented in collaboration with Isobel Clouter. Supported by Awards for All Lottery grant.
- Soundtrack for 'The Black Sea Files' - video installation and DVD by Swiss artist Ursula Biemann. Shown Kunst Werke Gallery, Berlin.
- Musique Quotidien Sonor Festival, Albi, France - concert performance.